The Tri-Rotor is a Fourth Echelon-developed remote-controlled drone used for recon and covert operations intelligence gathering controlled via the user's OPSAT. It is designed with minimized noise to avoid detection and can be outfitted with a series of gadgets for both non-lethal stealth encounters and assault means.
It can be used by the player to do multiple tasks such as:
- Stalk enemies from a distance (when upgraded, you can use Sonar vision to detect them) and the Tri-Rotor can be used as recon tool while the path is not accessable by player.
- Intelligence gathering, in some point of the game, the Tri-Rotor is needed for looking for High-Value targets, or important items.
- Knock out multiple enemies, the upgraded Tri-Rotor has 4 shocker arrow equipped, once the Rotor is close enough, Sam can use the explosive to kill enemies.
- Disable electronics from a distance, the Tri-Rotor can be used against electronic devices, via its EMP charge upgrade. The Tri-Rotor can only use one kind of explosive at a time, either this or the C4 charge that kills the enemy.
- The Tri-Rotor is named so because it has three rotor propellers in a trifocal placement, similar to the iconic trifocal image of the Splinter Cell series.
- The Tri-Rotor is featured in Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist was designed by Fourth Echelon's Charlie Cole. This gadget is also unique for receiving upgrade for free throughout the game.