Were you looking for the Jin Mao Hotel, the setting this level takes place?
- "We're going to Shanghai, you and I. There's a Pakistani nuclear scientist there who's selling some very useful information. We're going to meet with him and get that information. If he's lucky, we'll even pay him for it."
- ― Emile Dufraisne
Shanghai is the fifth solo campaign level in Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent. Undercover NSA agent Sam Fisher accompanies Emile Dufraisne to the Jin Mao Hotel in Shanghai, China to steal important documents from Dr. Aswat while Emile and Carson Moss meet with the doctor to discuss the purchase of Red Mercury.
Mission Information Edit
- JBA: Reach Aswat's room 2406 - The informatio nwe need is in Dr. Aswat's hotel suite 2406. Infiltrate his bedroom in order to be in a position to get the data.
- JBA: Extract via Emile's helicopter - Emile is waiting for you aboard the JBA's helicopter. Reach it to extract from the hotel.
Primary Objectives Edit
- NSA: Record the secret meeting - It is vital that we learn what Dr. Aswat is discussing with Emile. Aswat is suspected of selling Pakistani nuclear secrets, and if he's talking to Dufraisne, that could mean big trouble.
- NSA: Infiltrate Hotel - A helicopter belonging to Dr. Aswat's security forces is patrolling the outside of the hotel, looking for intruders. Avoid detection by making your way inside the hotel.
- NSA: Sample Red Mercury - If that's really red mercury, we need a sample of it. Get one and bring it back for testing.
- JBA: Get Aswat's notes from his room - Dr. Aswat's notes are hidden in a safe in his room. Reach his room and retrieve the documents.
- NSA: Kill Dr. Aswat - We cannot allow Dr. Aswat to continue selling his knowledge. It's simply too dangerous. You need to take him out of commision before anyone else gets their hands on his work.
Secondary Objectives Edit
- NSA: Infiltrate the hotel without alert - Aswat is very security conscious. You'll need to get inside without triggering an alert, or he may get nervous and check out (unlocks Hacking Device - Software Upgrade).
- NSA: Don't kill civilians - The hotel where the meeting is taking place is a public area filled with hotel staff and tourists. Killing civilians would attract too much attention from the authorities, and should be avoided at all costs.
- NSA: Complete mission without alert - Aswat is very security conscious. You'll need to complete your mission, without triggering an alert, or he may get nervous and check out (unlocks Smoke Grenade - Attachment).
- The guards in the hotel will consider you a threat if they spot you off the helipad.
- You can rappel down to record the meeting by reaching the crane on the opposite side of the roof from the helipad.
- The meeting area is one floor above you; you can reach it by going through the laundry.
- If one of the terrorist leaders in the meeting room spots you, your cover will be blown and you will be pulled off the assignment.
- Dr. Aswat's room is 2406. The quickest way to reach it is to winch down to it from the top of the lobby.
Main article: Data/Shanghai
Mission Overview Edit
After hijacking the supertanker RSS Rublev in Eastern Russia, Emile Dufraisne of John Brown's Army and operative Sam Fisher went to the Jin Mao Hotel in Shanghai by Mi-8 so Sam could steal some notes from Dr. Aswat while Emile and Carson Moss met with the doctor to discuss the purchase of Red Mercury for use in creating nuclear weapons. Unfortunately, the pilot suffered a fatal heart attack due to an overdose of medication, forcing Fisher to take command of the helicopter before it crashed.
After Moss and Emile departed to attend their meeting, CIA agent Hisham Hamza contacted Sam to give him his mission. Sam was to make his way across the rooftop and use a crane to rappel down to the outer walls of the hotel to find and record the meeting between Emile and Aswat with the laser microphone. While recording the meeting Sam was interrupted when Hisham warns him that a patrol helicopter with a spotlight was investigating the hotel exterior, at which point Moss closed the drapes on Sam. Sam slipped into the hotel through a window leading to the laundry room, making his way past Aswat's mercenary guards.
Sam made his way upstairs to the meeting room to sample the Red Mercury, which was kept in a secure safe. Then he made his way through the hotel's vast atrium to sneak into Aswat's room, #2406 and steal his notes which were kept in his safe. Fisher stole the notes, which contained information on how to produce Red Mercury and then awaited extraction by Emile. Emile and Moss came in by helicopter and blasted open the windows of Dr. Aswat's apartment. Hisham ordered Fisher to kill the doctor to prevent him from spreading his knowledge of Red Mercury to other clients. Fisher complied and killed Dr. Aswat, allowing him to escape the hotel with the data he carried.
- The helicopter only needs to be stabilized for a few seconds before the cutscene takes over.
- This is the only time that Sam is seen flying a helicopter.
- After Fisher infiltrates the laundry room, if one goes to the elevators in the hallway beyond the room, they can find the bodies of two hotel workers. Evidently, they were murdered by the Pakistani mercenaries guarding the building during the meeting.
- There is a hidden timer that starts shortly after Fisher reaches room 2406, he has to crack the safe and kill Dr. Aswat quickly, because the JBA helicopter will arrive and Fisher will lose trust if he let Emile wait. Its possible to fail the mission if Fisher takes too long.
- If Fisher triggers an alert on the roof, a guard will spot him as he rappels down from the crane. Hisham then appears and kills the guard to save Sam.
- In this level it is possible to die but still complete the level, at the end the player has to jump up onto the zip line to the helicopter but if he/she misses then they will jump out the window to fall to the ground, it will say mission completed but the player will be able to hear Fisher screaming as he falls to his doom.
- Before the recording is complete, no one in the meeting room will notice Fisher, even when Moss was looking at the window.
- During the section where Fisher must use the elevators to move between the floors, it is possible to look down and see crowds of people gathered at the bottom floor counting down the Chinese New Year.