Were you looking for the Japanese Defense Ministry Headquarters, the setting this level takes place?
Admiral Otomo and the Japanese I-SDF are responsible for working with Douglas Shetland to push the Koreas and the United States into war. It must be determined if Otomo's actions are sanctioned by the Japanese government, and Otomo must be stopped.
Mission Information Edit
Primary Objectives Edit
- Do not kill anyone - Relations with Japan are at the breaking point. Killing anyone will result in mission failure.
- Contact the detained American officers - American officers stationed at the Kokubo Sosho have been detained by the SDF in the press room at the top floor over the main lobby. Contact them for information.
- Gain access to the war room - The sealed doors to the Kokubo Sosho war room can be unlocked from the main server room in the lower level.
- Record the meeting in the war room - The heads of the Self-Defense Force are holding an emergency meeting in the war room on the lower level. Record the meeting with your laser mic.
- Access the G-SDF general's laptop - Use your EEV to access the laptop of the general in the war room from the overlooking vent.
- Cripple Otomo's I-SDF servers - Get to the I-SDF command center in the sub-levels and destroy Otomo's servers before it is too late.
- Capture Otomo alive - Fifth Freedom. The non-lethal restriction is lifted for anyone except Admiral Otomo, who must be captured alive if there is any hope to stabilize the region.
- Exfiltrate to the only available extraction point - The only possible way of extraction is through the wall of Otomo's office and into Tokyo Bay. Use a charge to blast through the wall and get Otomo to the surface for medical extraction.
Bonus Objectives Edit
- Access the I-SDF servers
- There is a way to reach the bathrooms from the tunnel's electrical room.
- The keycode to the server room is 1945.
- The basement access has just been unlocked.
- Sticky shocker rounds can be found in the store room.
- The SDF soldiers in the basement area are using non-lethal weapons.
- There are IR cameras set up in the server room.
- There is a medical kit in the basement bathroom.
- There is a medical kit near the main lobby bathrooms.
- The central servers will sink into the floor in case of alarm.
- The server room retinal scanner will cause the servers to resurface.
- The I-SDF elevator is now accessible.
Main article: Data/Kokubo Sosho
By the time Fisher arrived at Kokubo Sosho, the JGSDF soldiers there had already arrested and rounded up all of the U.S. personnel stationed there, and were holding them hostage indefinitely while they prepared to make their next move. After infiltrating the facility and bypassing the guards, Fisher spoke directly to the hostages, who were unharmed and informed Fisher that an emergency meeting was to take place in the War Room. Fisher proceeded to the sub-levels and infiltrated the War Room's perimeter for the short time it had been opened, and due to the tempest-hardening preventing an intrusion from afar instead came out above the War Room through an air vent as it was not air-tight.
As Fisher listened in, the generals present were contacted by Admiral Otomo, who demanded that the military repeal the postwar constitution and return control of Japan to the Emperor so that he could force him to order the immediate remilitarization of Japan. The generals protested the Admiral's demands, so Otomo gave them four days to order the constitution's repeal, after which he would force-launch a North Korean ballistic missile against his own country if his demands were not met. After Otomo cut the transmission, the generals, horrified at the Admiral's threat, moved forward and deployed a strike team of the JGSDF down to the underwater bunker to take control of the facility and stop Otomo. The assault ended in disaster as the entire strike team was massacred by the I-SDF. Enraged at the generals' "dishonorable" actions, Otomo declared that he would go forth with his threat to annihilate one of Japan's major cities. With sufficient evidence that Otomo had been blackmailing the Japanese government the entire time, Fisher proceeded down to the bunker where Otomo was stationed.
On the way down, the I-SDF detects Fisher's presence and cut the power to the elevators. Fisher then climbed down and made his way to get past the I-SDF soldiers, a mess of trip wires and wall mines. Fisher was then informed by Lambert that North Korea had contacted the U.S. that it lost control of a ballistic missile and that it would launch in a matter of three minutes if the I-SDF's servers were not destroyed in time. Fisher moved quickly and was able to overcome the I-SDF's lethal defenses, destroying the servers and canceling the launch. Fisher then confronted Otomo with the intention of capturing him and forcing him to admit to his crimes before an international war crimes tribunal, as his sense of honor would dictate. Otomo scoffed at Fisher's efforts to stop him and instead attempted to commit seppuku with a large blade, but Fisher was able to stabilize him before the wound became fatal. Fisher then blasted his way through the super-thick glass of the bunker and swam up more than 100 ft. to the surface of Tokyo Bay with Otomo in tow. Third Echelon then retrieved Fisher and Otomo, the latter of whom would be forced to admit to his crimes before the world and effectively ending the crisis in East Asia.
- Sam can be captured if discovered by the guards that are LTL (Less Than Lethal) equipped. During interrogation Sam will escape by picking his handcuffs and taking out the interrogators before carrying on with the mission.
- However, the awareness level will be automatically raised to 1, making the mission harder to complete.
- If Sam is caught, some of his dialogue in the rest of the mission will be replaced by Lambert and Anna Grímsdóttir.
- If Sam interrogates one of the guards, the guard will say to Sam "It's not like you can shake me and make my ammo fall on the floor." A reference to the Metal Gear series.
- In the server room, if an alarm is sounded, the servers will sink to the ground. The only way to raise the server again is to hack the retinal scanner (grab a guard and force him to use it also works).
- Along with Penthouse mission, the Kokubo Sosho has night-vision security cameras.
- The code to the door to the server room is 1945 and is a reference to the year World War II ended, the Post War Constitution was signed, and the American occupation of Japan began. This is likely a reference due to the plot developments regarding Japan's Constitution that follow soon after.
- This is the third level in Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory that takes place in Japan, the others being Hokkaido and Bathhouse.
- An Unidentified North Korean UAV is present in the beginning of this mission in the PS2/Gamecube version.
- The name 'Kokubo Sosho' literally means "General Department of National Defense" in Japanese.